Guidelines for Effective Speech, There are some certain guidelines or principles that are to be followed in order to make speech most effective. The speaker should remember the following guiding principles to make speech successful-
Guidelines for Effective Speech
- Using Simple and Suitable Words: Words convey different meanings to different people in different situations. Speech communication is basically a word-based communication. The speaker should be careful in selecting words. Simple, common and familiar words should be used in speech. Words that bear different meanings should be avoided as much as possible.
- Control of Emotion: The speaker must control has emotion to make oral communication effective. Over emotion of the speaker may mislead or irritate the listeners and misguide the speaker.
- Drafting the Speech: Before delivering the speech, the speaker should make a draft of the speech. It will help him to better organize his speech, to allocate time on different issues and to rectify the message if any error is there.
- Brevity: The speech should be brief and concise to make it effective. If there speaker takes long time for delivering his message, the audience may lose attention toward the speech. Business Communication Precision: The oral message must be precise enough to communicate with the receiver effectively. Specific words should be used instead of vague or ambiguous words in speech.
Effective Speech in Communication
- Logical Sequence: In speech, ideas should be organized sequentially so that the receivers or audience may get clear sense of the whole speech. No irrelevant idea should be included in the speech.
- Natural Voice: Speech should be delivered at natural tone of the speaker. Unnatural or unusual voice may distort the meaning of the message. The voice of the speaker should be clear and pleasant also.
- Speaking Slowly: The speaker should speak slowly so that the audience can understand him easily. If the speaker delivers his speech very rapidly, the audience may fail to understand or follow him instantly.
- Taking preparation: A person or speaker must take necessary preparation before delivering his speech before the audience. Before presenting something he should have proper planning regarding the topic, audience, timing, place, etc. A well planned or well prepared presentation must be able to attract the attention of the audience.
- Avoiding Mannerism: The speaker must avoid mannerism, if he has any. Because it irritates the audience. Making unnecessary sound repeatedly, fidgeting fingers, scratching heads, unnecessary body movement etc. must be avoided at the time of delivering speech.
- Using Visual Aids: Visual aids can make the speech or oral presentation more interesting and livelier. The speaker can use slides, multimedia projector, overhead projector, whiteboard etc to make his presentation vivid and magnificent.
- Using Body Language: In speech or presentation, the speaker must attract the attention of the audience through positive body language. Eye contact, smile, nods, fingering etc are important body movements or languages that help to retain the attention of the audience.
- Clear Pronunciation: Clear pronunciation is an important quality of a speaker. The success of speech largely depends on it. Clear pronunciation means distinct uttering of words with required pitch and intensity of voice.
- Emphasizing on Important Topic: The speaker should emphasize on important topic so that audience can pay full attention to his speech. It’s up to the speaker how he will determine the relative importance of different parts of his speech.
Apart the above mentioned principles the speaker also should learn about his audience. Capacity of the listeners and should be careful about the objectivity of the informative. These principles or guidelines are to the followed to make speech effective and lively. There are more information about What is Speech Communication? Characteristics of a Good Speech.
- 36What is Speech Communication? Characteristics of a Good Speech, Speech communication definition, Meaning of Speech, Business Speech. Speech is an important medium of oral communication by which message is sent to the audience orally from the speaker. A speech is a public speaking delivered by a speaker on some occasions.…