What is Internal Communication, Definition of internal communication, meaning of internal communication, Functions of Internal Communication, Purposes of Internal Communication. Communication taking place contained by the purview of organizational locale is called internal communication. In other words, at what time people of the similar organization exchange information along with and among themselves, it can be termed as internal communication. Internal communication perhaps upward to superiors, downward to subordinates or horizontal to peers. The flow of internal communication possibly through formal channel established in the organization or during informal channels established between the employees.
What is Internal Communication
Bovee and Others said, “Internal Communication refers to the exchange of information and ideas within an organization.”
According to R.V. Lesiker and J.D. Pettit, “Internal Communication consists of the structured communication within the organization that directly relates to achieving the organizations work goal.”
According to R. Pal and J.S. Korlahalli, “Internal communication consists in transmitting information within the organization.”
As a result, when communication flows in an organization through informal or formal channel, vertically or horizontally, orally or in written form, it is called internal communication. The major objective of internal communication is to make sure smooth functioning of organization activities. Business Communication
Functions or Purposes of Internal Communication
Internal communication is a communication method the major objective of which is to make sure smooth functioning of organizational activities. It performs a variety of functions to carry out its objectives. The functions of internal communication are discussed below-
- Helping in Decision Making: Management is to take decision in different areas for the smooth functioning of the organizational activities. Internal communication helps management take proper and timely decision by providing information in relevant areas.
- Managing Co-ordination and Co-operation: There are various departments in an organization and co-ordination among and among these departments is ought to for establishing a congenial atmosphere in the organization. Internal communication facilitates co-ordination and co-operation by linking the various departments through appropriate information. improved understanding and cooperation ensure co-ordination and internal communication enhances the process of co-ordination by supplying necessary information.
- Initiating Inspiration: Managers create inspiration between the employees through internal communication. The top leadership all the time tries to say the subordinates so that they can work with full preparation to achieve organizational objectives.
- Increasing Employee Morale: Morale is the individual and collective spirit and moral condition of employees with regard to obedience and confidence. Low morale makes the employees idle and frustrated. Management always tries to lift up the morale of employees through internal communication so that they think that they are important for the organization.
- Helping in Planning: Planning is one of the most important management functions. Internal communication facilitates the planning process by supplying information, opinions, ideas, logistics etc. form various quarters within and outside the organization. Without proper internal communication system, no effective plan can be made and carried out.
- Motivating: Motivating the receiver to respond desirably is an important function of every communication. In organizational communication, the major task of internal communication is to motivate the employees to work harmoniously to attain organizational objectives.
- Exchange of Information: Exchange of information between and among various parties within the organization is an important function of internal communication. It also facilitates the exchange of news, views, concept, feelings, thoughts, emotion etc. between management and employees.
- Performance Evaluation: Evaluation of performance is another important function of communication. Internal communication is used as the weapon of measuring the performance of every person or department working for the organization. If there is any deviation between the set standard and the actual performance, the supervisors clarify the subordinates by referring corrective actions through internal communication.
- Controlling: Controlling is another important function of management and internal communication plays vital role in this controlling process. Internal communication provides information to the top executives on different issues that help the management establish a well managed controlling system in the organization.
- Elimination of Rumors: In an organization there are different types of people. Sometimes there may be rumors; or fake information may be leaked out that creates unrest among employees. If there is well-established internal communication system, management can continuously keep in touch with the employees about every change in the organization that reduces the rumors. So, elimination of rumors is an important function of internal communication.
In fine, it can be said that the functions of internal communication are multipurpose and vital. The success of any organization and its business largely depends upon the success of its internal communication system. There is more information about What is Telephone Conversation in Business Communication?
- 55Functions of Non Verbal Communication There are various types of non verbal communication methods, each of which has certain function or objective. Non verbal communication has multipurpose functions. Some of them are discussed below- Functions of Non Verbal Communication Sign or Marks of Identity: Non verbal communication also functions as…
- 40What is Business Memo in Communication? Functions of Memorandum, Importance of Memorandum, Business Memo. Memo is the short form of memorandum. The literal meaning of the word Memorandum is a note to assist the memory. A memo is a shot piece of writing (short letter), generally used for internal communication…
- 40What is Horizontal Communication, Communication between and across the departments of people on the same level in the managerial hierarchy of an organization is called horizontal communication. It is also termed as lateral communication. It is the most frequently used channel of communication. Definition of horizontal communication, Meaning of horizontal…
- 36What is Face to Face Communication, What is Face to Face Conversation, Face to face communication is an important medium of oral communication. Everyday people exchange their ideas and opinions through Face to face communication whenever they get chance. It is a widely used technique of oral but informal communication.…
- 32What is Grapevine Communication or Informal communication. If communication is done without maintaining the formalities prescribed by the organization, it is called informal communication. The basis of informal communication is personal or informal relationship between the members of a group. It is also known as grapevine that takes place when…