What is Mass Communication, Definition of mass communication Normally, transmission of messages to many persons at a time is called Mass Communication. But in complete sense, mass communication can be defined as the process through which a message is circulated extensively among the people who are far away from the sender. Meaning of mass communication, Characteristics of Mass Communication, Features of Mass Communication below here-
What is Mass Communication
According to Metha, “Mass Communication is concerned with transmitting information, thoughts and opinions, entertainments etc at a time to a large number of audiences of different characteristics.”
According to Agge, Ault and Emery, “Mass Communication is process of sending a message, thought and attitude through some media to a large number of heterogeneous audiences.”
Dominick says, “Mass Communication refers to the process by which a complex organization with the aid of one or more machines produces and transmits public messages that are directed at large, heterogeneous and scattered audiences.” Business Communication
Characteristics or Features of Mass Communication
Mass Communication has all the features of general communication. In addition, it offers some unique characteristics because of its specialty in nature. The characteristics of mass communication are discussed below:
- Large Number of Audience: The foremost feature of mass communication is that it has large number of audience. No other communication gets as many receivers as it gets.
- Heterogeneous Audience: Mass Communication is not only composed of a large number of audiences but also aims to heterogeneous audience. The heterogeneity here means that the audience may belong to different races, groups, section, cultures etc.
- Scattered Audience: The audiences of Mass Communication are not organized in a certain area rather they are highly scattered in different geographical areas. The receivers of message of mass communication may stay any place of the country and even any place of the world.
- Wide Area: The area of Mass Communication is wider than any other communication systems. In case of mass communication system, the message is structured, formal and standardized and that’s why it has acceptance all over the world.
- Use of Channel: Mass Communication system uses various types of mass media channels such as-radio, television, newspapers, magazines etc.
- Use of Common Message: Another unique characteristic of mass communication is that it sends the same message simultaneously to a large number of audiences staying far away from each other. If the audiences have the proper access to the media used by the sender they can easily get message wherever they stay in the world.
- No Direct Feedback: Mass Communication does not produce any direct feedback. The reaction of audience cannot be known quickly here.
- Outward Flow: The flow of message in mass communication is outward, not inward. The basic objective of mass communication is also to send message to the people outside the organization who say far away.
- Use of Technology: Mass Communication system uses modern technology in the process of production and dissemination of the message to be sent.
So, Mass Communication has some unique characteristics for which it is accepted by every large organization. There is more information about Definition of downward communication Objectives.
- 70What is Mass Communication Mass Communication Definition of mass communication, meaning of mass communication, Mass Communication Process. Mass communication refers to the transmission of message to a large number of general people. Through mass communication, information can be transmitted quickly to a large number of geographically dispersed people. The audiences…
- 59Business Communication Characteristic is a specialized form of communication. It basically deals with business related affairs. Business people pass most of their time by directing the workers, prescribing methods and procedures, formulating business policies, selling and obtaining goods and services, reporting to different parties and maintaining liaison with concerned parties.…
- 46Two way Communication in Business when the sender sends a message to receiver and he (receiver) sends his response to the sender after understanding the message, it is called two-way communication. In other words, two-way Business Communication system is a Communication Process where the receiver sends back his reaction to…
- 46What is Communication Communication is a Latin originated word, meaning of which is sharing. Communication means sharing or exchanging information, news, ideas, etc. with someone. The most common medium of communication is language. Besides, there are other several means of communication available to us. We use non-linguistic symbols such as…
- 45What is Oral Communication in Business? Definition of Oral Communication or Meaning of Oral communication When a message is exchanged between the parties orally, it is called oral communication. It is also a word-based communication but not in written from rather in verbal or oral form. Here the sender and…