Written Communication Tools for Employees Messages that are exchanged in written form are called written communication. Organizations use different tools or methods for communication with the executives and with the employees. The methods or tools of written communication as applicable for written communication tools for management and employees are discussed below-
Management is to communicate with the employees to make them aware and informed about different matters. The written communication tools for employees are discussed below-
Written Communication Tools for Employees
- Job Schedule: Employees are given job schedule so that they can better understand their work area, authority and responsibility. Sometimes, management also reminds the employees about their job areas by supping job schedule.
- Pay-roll Envelope: In many organizations salaries or wages are paid to employees in envelope. The envelope also contains a statement of salary showing the basic or gross payment, allowance, deduction etc. business communication
Written Communication Tools for Employees
- Notice Book: Sometimes managers use notice book to communicate urgent message to the employees. Normally, the office peon brings the notice book to the concerned employees and makes the notice signed for acknowledgement.
- Employee Newsletter: Employee Newsletter is used to communicate less important or less urgent messages. It contains the recent activities / programs of the organization, progress about projects, etc. It is published at a certain time intervals, such as weekly, fortnightly or monthly.
- Monthly House Organ: Monthly house organ is published by large organizations. It contains information about various organizational aspects.
- Letter to New Employees: Welcome letters are written to newly appointed employees by the managers that contain congratulatory messages for their joining in the organization. It helps the authority to build a good relationship with the employees.
- Reading Racks: Large organizations arrange reading racks for their employees. Reading racks contain different books, journals, booklets, papers, periodicals, etc. so that employees can read them during the leisure time. It helps the employees t increase their reading habit and to gain knowledge in different areas.
- Employee Bulletin: Bulletins are used for communicating important messages on emergency basis. Supervisors prepare and disseminate employee bulletins and normally these are released within hours.
- Employee Handbook / Booklet: Employee handbook or booklet contains company profile, policies, procedures, plans, rules-regulations, etc. It helps the employees to know about the organization in details.
- Complaint and Suggestion Box: Organizations practicing participative management install complaint and suggestion box at the convenient place. Employees are encouraged to drop their complaints, suggestions, opinions, questions etc. in this box from where management can get valuable information on different matters.
- Memorandum: Memorandum is a widely used technique of internal communication. General information or message is circulated to all of an organization by memorandum. For example, promotion of employees, notice of meeting, increase in salary, gratuity, changes in policy etc. are taken to the notice of the employees by memorandum.
- Notice Board: Notice board is used to communicate day to day or routine information with the employees. Employee work schedule, day’s programs, usual message etc are pasted on the notice board for the attention of the employees.
- Special Report: Special report is used to convey special information to the employees. This type of report takes short form and usually prepared for special purpose or on special occasion.
- Internal Circular: Internal circulars are used to communicate emergency message with the employees. Circulars may be hanged on the notice board or given to the departmental heads for making others informed.
- Annual Report: Annual report is prepared at the end of the financial year and from it employees can get information related to various matters. By reading annual report, employees also can know their strengths and weaknesses and try to improve their performances in different areas.
From the above discussion, we find that there are different methods or tools for communicating with managers and employees in written way. All of these tools act as the evidence for further reference. There are also information about written communication tools for management.