What is Horizontal Communication, Communication between and across the departments of people on the same level in the managerial hierarchy of an organization is called horizontal communication. It is also termed as lateral communication. It is the most frequently used channel of communication. Definition of horizontal communication, Meaning of horizontal communication, Importance of horizontal communication.
What is Horizontal Communication
According to Dr. Urmila Rai, “Horizontal communication is that which flows between persons of equal status in an organization.”
In the opinion of R.W. Griffin, “Horizontal communication involves colleagues and peers at the same level of the organization.”
Bovee and Others said, “Horizontal communication is the flow of information across departmental boundaries.”
According to Betty and Kay, “Horizontal communication occurs between workers at generally equal levels in an organization.” Business Communication
Importance of Horizontal Communication
Horizontal communication is very important for promoting understanding and coordination among various departments. It is essential to establish horizontal communication in the organization to better performing the organizational activities. The importance of horizontal communication is discussed below in terms of the advantages it provides-
- Coordination: Coordination is the most important objective of horizontal communication. Coordination of factions between and among different departments and person is vitally important for smooth functioning of organizational activities. Lack of coordination may cause disastrous effect on the performance of an organization. Horizontal communication helps the concerned authority to bring coordination among the various departments of the organization.
- Overcoming Misunderstanding: Sometimes conflict is found among the heads of various departments in the organization. Horizontal communication can remove this type of conflict and misunderstanding, which is inevitable for organizational success.
- Free of Distortion: Vertical communication may produce distortion of message whereas horizontal communication helps reduce information loss and distortion as message flows here at the same levels at the same time.
- Quick Communication: Horizontal communication takes place more quickly than other communication systems, because here the information flows at the same levels of officers and there are no formal layers in the organization.
- Dynamism in Work: Horizontal communication helps to establish dynamic working environment as all the personnel in the various departments work in a coordinated way. The aim of horizontal communication is to bring congenial working atmosphere in the organization.
- Effective Departmental Communication: Horizontal communications widely used to establish effective communication between and among various departments of an organization.
From the above discussion, we can say that horizontal communication is inevitable for an organization to functioning its activities more harmoniously. There is more information about What is Mass Communication? Features of Mass Communication.
- 52Importance of Communication in Business -Communication in Business the history of Communication is as previous as the history of human being society. The importance of Business Communication is indispensable in case of social and business life. It is careful as the lifeblood of business. No business can develop in lack…
- 50Definition of downward communication, when communication message flows form a superior to a subordinate, it is called downward communication. The managing director communicating with the departmental heads, a manager giving instructions to an assistant manager or a supervisor-all are engaged in the process of downward communication. The common purpose of…
- 50Different Types of Communication in Business means exchange of information between or among various parties. During the exchange of information, communication process involves different parties, takes different flows, uses different media, maintains some formalities and intends to attain different goals. So, Business Communication can be categorized into different groups depending…
- 47What is Face to Face Communication, What is Face to Face Conversation, Face to face communication is an important medium of oral communication. Everyday people exchange their ideas and opinions through Face to face communication whenever they get chance. It is a widely used technique of oral but informal communication.…