How to improve listening skills By understanding the listening process, you begin to understand why oral messages are so often lost. Listening involves five sequential activities which are discussed below- Listening Process, Types of Listening below here. Business Communication
How to improve listening skills
- Responding: Responding refers to reacting once you have evaluated the speaker’s message. If you are communicating one-on-one or in small group, the initial response generally takes the form of verbal feedback. If you are one of many in audience, your initial response may take the form of applause, laughter or silence. Later on, you may act on what you have heard.
- Remembering: Remembering means storing a message for future reference. As you listen, you retain what you hear by taking notes or by making a mental outline of the speaker’s key points.
- Evaluating: Here evaluating means applying critical thinking skills to weigh the speaker’s remarks. You separate fact from opinion and evaluate the quality of the evidence.
- Receiving: Receiving means physically bearing the message and taking note of it. Physical reception may be blocked by noise, impaired hearing or inattention.
- Interpreting: Interpreting refers to assigning meaning to sounds according to your own values, beliefs, ideas, expectations, roles, needs and personal history. The speaker’s frame of reference may be quite different from yours. So you may need to determine what the speaker really mean.
From the above discussion, we have learnt how we complete our listening process effectively and efficiently.
Types of Listening or There Basic Listening Modes
There are basically three types of listening that may take place while we are listening to any speaker. These are discussed below-
- Active or Reflective Listening: Active or reflective listening is that the single most helpful and necessary listening talent. In active listening we tend to are genuinely inquisitive about understanding what the opposite person is thinking, feeling, wanting or what the message means that and that we are active in looking for our understanding before we respond with our own new message. We tend to repeat or paraphrase our understanding of their message and replicate it back to the sender for verification. This verification or feedback method is what distinguishes active listening and makes it effective.
- Passive or Attentive Listening: In passive or conscientious listening we have a tendency to ar genuinely inquisitive about hearing and understanding the opposite person’s purpose of read. We are attentive and passively listen. We take for granted that we detected and perceive properly.
- Competitive or Combative Listening: aggressive or combative listening happens once we are a lot of inquisitive about promoting our own purpose of read than in understanding or exploring somebody else’s read. We either listen for gap to require the ground or for flaws or weak points we are able to attack. As we faux to listen we are with impatience looking forward to a gap or internally formulating our rebuttal and designing our devastating comeback which will destroy their argument and create us the victor. There is more information about How to Improve Verbal Communication Skills in Business.
- 45How to Improve Reading Skills Like writing and listening reading in an important phenomenon of our life but it is not an easy task. For effective reading one can follow the rules mentioned below- How to Improve Reading Skills Read within the correct Environment: Prop your book or magazine employing…
- 44How to Improve Your Writing Skills-Most of the organizations rely on written communication for exchanging message with different parties. Written materials are used as important documents and are considered as authoritative proof. But writing is not an easy task, it is an art. People are to learn it by acquiring…
- 40How to Improve Verbal Communication Skills when info is changed between the parties through words, it's known as verbal communication. It’s a word-based communication. Verbal communication is often of 2 types-written communication and speech communication. So as to enhance skills in verbal communication someone ought to follow the rules mentioned…
- 39How to Improve Your Speaking Skills in Communication, How to improve oral communication skills, How to Improve Your Oral Skills in Communication. There are some sure tips or principles that are to be followed so as to create spoken language only. The essential principles of oral communication are mentioned below-…