How to speak effectively we know that verbal communication fails into two categories as written communication and oral communication. Clear oral communication speaking effectively requires following the many of the same guidelines as you do for written communication. Some essential guidelines for effective speaking are discussed below-
How to Speak Effectively
- Know What You Want to Say: Before beginning to speak, has a definite idea of what you want to say. Mentally plan your opening remarks as well as the general content of what you want to convey. When speaking with an associate, avoid offering opinions on subjects with which you are not familiar. Such attempts to appear knowledgeable often clearly convey a lack of knowledge. Business Communication
- Move from the Simple to the Complex: If communication involves more than conveying routine information, it becomes important to plan the order of items to be discussed, moving from the simple to the complex. Unlike a reader, a listener does not have the opportunity to read and reorganize your verbal communication.
- Consider Your Listener’s Point of View: Your listener may have an entirely different point of view from your own. It is rate that everyone you talk will completely agree with everything you say. Therefore, you must consider your listener’s point of view. Keeping the listener’s point of view in mind and responding to it are important considerations, whether you are communicating in writing or speech.
Select Words Carefully: Before you speak, you should be conscious of your listener’s backgrounds and select your words carefully to communicate your message clearly, without offending them. Avoid words that may be misunderstood because of multiple meanings and differences in listener’s backgrounds, experiences or cultures. Use plain and Basic English so that English and non English speakers can understand it clearly. Use short, precise words that say exactly what you mean. Simple and easy to understand words should be used. Ambiguous words and jargon’s should be avoided and dialect should not be used.
- Enunciate Clearly: You must speak clearly and enunciate your words or you will not be understood. Failure to pronounce words clearly and correctly may cause your listeners to lose interest or to feel that you are so unsure of what you are saying that it probably has no value.
Use the Active Voice: The active voice is understood more easily because it is both clear and direct. Using the active voice will help you speak more concisely and it puts the action right up front.
- Be Courteous and Natural: No one likes the people who put on airs or puff themselves up. A natural and forthright manner leads to the most effective communication. An artificial attitude seems to be unpleasant, annoying and at worst dishonest.
The above mentioned guidelines may be helpful in increasing the speaking skills of a person. There are more information about Structure of Market Report | Body of Report in Business Communication.
- 62Importance of Communication in Business -Communication in Business the history of Communication is as previous as the history of human being society. The importance of Business Communication is indispensable in case of social and business life. It is careful as the lifeblood of business. No business can develop in lack…
- 59Different Types of Communication in Business means exchange of information between or among various parties. During the exchange of information, communication process involves different parties, takes different flows, uses different media, maintains some formalities and intends to attain different goals. So, Business Communication can be categorized into different groups depending…
- 54What is Business Communication Process -Business Communication Process has been defined as transferring of a thought or idea from one persone or group of persons to another person or group of persons so that it can be understood and acted upon and Business Communication Process is the system by which…
- 51What is Business communication -business communication is a specialized branch of general communication that is specifically concerned with business activities. Generally, when communication takes place between or among parties regarding business-related functions, it can be termed as business communication. But the process, methods, types, principles etc. remain almost same with…